A relaxed one-week itinerary for Meghalaya which where you experience something new every day. From a capital city that is fondly known as Scotland of the East to the rainiest place in the whole world, this 7 day Meghalaya itinerary is the perfect getaway from the chaos of the fast lives of the cities. Whether you want to just slow down or want to peep under the friendly Khasis, the local tribes of Meghalaya or just go sightseeing in this beautiful abode of clouds called Meghalaya, a week is almost perfect do that. This trip particularly curated keeping the things that you can do, in mind is just what you need.
One week trip to Shillong, Cherrapunjee, Living Root Bridges, Mawlynnong and Dawki/Shnongpedeng
7 day Meghalaya Trip Itinerary
Day 1 – Guwahati to Shillong
Stop by at Umium Lake to enjoy the beauty of this serene place under gorgeous skies. Check-in a colonial-style Khasi house/a beautiful and speckless guest-house tucked away on a hill off the city center. Evening free to relax and explore. Finish your day with an authentic Khasi dinner in Police Bazar or at your homestay.
Day 2 – Shillong – Cherrapunjee (Sohra)
Today we will head deeper in the Khasi hills & towards the more gorgeous parts of Meghalaya. Today’s journey is full of places to see. By the end of the day, you would have visited the following places:
- Elephant falls.
- Shillong Peak.
- Mawkdok Viewpoint.
- Wha Kaba falls.
- Arwah Caves.
- Dainthlen Falls.[Time & weather permitting.]
- Nonkalikhai Falls.
- Mawsmai Caves.
For the night, check-in to a simple and very hospitable Khasi homestay.
Day 3 – Cherrapunjee and around
Today, you can either choose to visit the following places
- Nohsngithiang Falls (Seven sisters falls).
- Eco Park – Missing Falls.
- Guided walk in a thousand-year-old sacred grove. [Mawphlang Sacred Grove]
- The weekly market in Cherrapunjee is quite interesting but the market day changes every week. If it is a market day while you are there, a visit to the market.
You can go on a trek to the double-decker living root bridges of Nongriat. It’s an experience like no other. If you enjoy swimming, do not forget to bring your swim-wear with you, you will need them when you find the kid inside you unable to hold back from jumping in the turquoise blue natural pools.
Day 4 – Cherrapunjee to Mawlynnong
Today, we start for Mawlynnong, Asia’s cleanest village. But before we head there, we will take a de-tour towards the India – Bangladesh border at Dawki and experience the transparent waters of the Umngkot river. Today’s plan will look something like this:
- Bop Hill Falls.
- You can go for a boat ride on the crystal clear waters of the Umngot river if you choose to.
- Drive down to the Tamabil BOP and shake hands/interact with the jawans of Bangladesh Rifles.
- Drive to Mawlynnong, Asia’s cleanest village. It’s a beautiful drive from one ridge to another overlooking lush-green hill and deep cloud-covered valleys.
- Check-in into a beautiful and spacious home-stay overlooking the Bangladesh plains beyond a valley below.
Day 5 – Mawlynnong to Shillong
Wake up early and take a walk around the beautiful village with its hundred-year-old Church to see how everyone, from kids to elders, strive to keep even the tiniest bit of trash off the streets and everywhere else other than the dustbins.
Head back to your Khasi homestay to freshen up and the check-out.
Post breakfast, we will be visiting the single-decker living root bridge at the Riwai village.
You might also want to visit the balancing rock on your way.
Once back in Shillong, explore Police Bazar in the evening and enjoy the wide range of street – food there.
Day 6 – Shillong To Guwahati
On the last day of your trip, take it easy. Check-out around 10 or so and then do some last-minute shopping from Shillong, if you haven’t already. On your way back to Guwahati, feel free to stop again at the Umiam lake or at the Umiam lake viewpoint before heading straight to the airport.
Fly out with a lifetime of memories.
- Dedicated vehicle for the entire stay in Meghalaya.
- Accommodation for all nights in twin sharing basis.
- Breakfast in Shillong, Cherrapunjee & Mawlynnong.
- Guide wherever required.
- Any personal/sanitary/medical expenses.
- Any extension in the number of days staying.
- Food and snacks.
- Anything that is not mentioned in the ‘inclusions’ section.
- Boating charges.
- 5% GST.
Cancellation & Refund
- 50% refund if canceled up to 45 days before the start of the trip.
- 25% refund if canceled between 30 and 44 days before the start of the trip.
- No Refund if less than 30 days left for the start of the trip.
- In case we cancel the trip for any unavoidable reason, we will refund 100% of the payment made to us. We will not be liable to pay any expenses the guest might have incurred (train tickets, flight tickets, etc.) to reach the starting point of the trip, Guwahati airport in this case.
- Prices are subject to change without prior notice, based upon the costing of variables of the trip logistics.
**For non-sharing accommodation, please let us know and we will manage the same.
**Please be informed that the homestays in Cherrapunjee & Mawlynnong is neat & clean but basic, given their geographic location.
If you think are not flexible enough to stay in experimental homestays do let us know and we will plan your accommodations in Shillong.